Sunday 3 March 2013

Fiona Southwood of Sunshine Academy


The Sunshine Academy is proud to offer study skills workshops for children in grade 4 to grade 7 (it can also be run for parents, teachers, au pairs, homework clubs and aftercare workers).
The workshop:
  • Helps children identify their natural learning styles
  • Demonstrates practical study methods to support different learning styles
  • Provides creative study tips and exam techniques
 
I developed the Sunshine Academy when my children got to grade 4 and 5: I realised that even though they were bright, hard working children and were privileged to be in a good school with dedicated teachers, they struggled to work out how to prepare for exams.  I have experience as a lecturer and have worked in organisational training and development for many years, so I set about designing material to help them and this soon turned into a business.

The workshop is practical, simple and creative: I remind children that the ability to learn is natural and show them that the process of learning can be FUN! Each child leaves with a 10 page workbook and I encourage a follow up session with the parent/s, so that they might determine the best way to support their child. I also offer ongoing sessions for children who need more detailed assistance.

I run the Sunshine Academy on Saturday mornings and in school holidays (09h30 to 12h30); it is also available as a weekly programme (2 x 1 ½ hours or 3 x 1 hour depending on timetables).

No comments:

Post a Comment